Tuesday, February 26, 2013

@Real_GayCaveman

Hello again fellow archaeologists!


Today in class Erin asked us to check out the social media frenzy surrounding "The Gay Caveman", and immediately, I WAS SOLD. Not only is this a prime example of the constant shenanigans that the majority of society and social media are pulling (and stalling the expansion of knowledge, I might add), but who hasn't had to answer to these kinds of biases while attempting to explain their major? Come on. I know you have. I HAVE. This blog post is going to be much more of a rant than an informational entry, but it is an issue within archaeology nonetheless, and needs to be addressed. Also, I have to admit that I giggled while reading these. I hope you do too.

While searching for popular information regarding "The Gay Caveman" I came across this gem and simply could not resist. It is an entire twitter account dedicated to the gay caveman and his prehistoric cave-man life problems. 

Shall we?
"I'm the world's first gay man and I knows I look good."

@Real_GayCaveman: "I was at a party last night and this one *jerk* 
wouldn't stop with all this "I invented the wheel" bull***"

@Real_GayCaveman: "Cavemen are portrayed as wearing shaggy animal hides, 
armed with rocks or cattle bone clubs and unintelligent-Screw you Wikipedia"

@Real_GayCaveman: "I have to go to a gay wedding in NYC, and 
can't find shoes that will match my leopard skin singlet."

@Real_GayCaveman: "The wheel is probably the most important
 mechanical invention of all time...And the feather boa."



Pretty hilarious, I have to admit, but what are the implications of this kind of media attention and false betrayal of Holocene peoples for archaeology? This discipline requires a great deal of respect and understanding- of open mindedness and careful deliberation. We tend to turn the bones we dig up into artifacts and nothing more, but regardless of grave goods, orientation and amount of time since burial, these were people, with beliefs and customs of their own, who deserve a level of respect that this particular individual has been robbed of. "Gay Caveman" is so far from accurate, scientific or respectful that it should hardly be considered an appropriate or worthy title for the skeleton unearthed. Science tests out ability to remain objective and unbiased, a challenge which, obviously according to the aforementioned twitter account, most fail. The case of the "Gay Caveman" fiasco is cautionary for us all to be weary of what interpretations we make. 


2 comments:

  1. Great post! You bring up a lot of good issues, and I definitely agree with you. I didn't realize how much the media had engulfed this story until Erin brought it up in class.

    I wasn't happy when I saw that there's a twitter account based on the "Gay Caveman." As you point out, it brings up a lot of misrepresentations about archaeology. It relies on and encourages stereotypes, which adds to the fictitious picture the media has constructed surrounding this individual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the wonderful reply, Rose!
    I think it's awful what they've turned this person's burial into. Hopefully more archaeologists and fellow scientists will try to clear up these issues in the future or be careful of what is released to the media and how!

    ReplyDelete